August 13, 2012
- Catching the Wind wins national award
- Book Review: Message in a Body
- Author, Ex-Sr. Obama advisor to speak i...
- Review: We were winning when I was ther...
August 13, 2012
by Gena, Silver Nest Designs
From Blog Earth Monkey Moms
My mom has always been my best friend. Not in the annoying let’s be girlfriends instead of mother and daughter way, but she’s always had my back, she’s always accepted me even at my ugliest and she pushes me to be my best, even now at 32.
She is beautiful and funny and kind, she’s humble and compassionate and loves God more than anything… she is who I want to be when I grow up.
So today I want to share the 10 most amazing things she has taught me throughout the years…
1. Being a mom is the biggest most important sacrifice you’ll ever make in life, and you don’t stop worrying about your kids after they are grown… Thank you mom for still being my mommy, for being the one I can call when I need a hug or a kick in the butt… I love how you still take care of me.
2. If you can’t be good in bed… at least be funny… or is it if you can’t cook at least be good in bed?! [oh, wait you thought these were all going to be deep??]
3. Act the way you wish you felt… you know like when you need to pull up your big girl panties but don’t want to???
4. Family is THE MOST important thing… period… end of story…
5. If you live less than a quarter mile from a really good cook there’s really no need to learn for yourself… [Note: she would not approve of this but after moving back in with her twice in my married life and now living on the same property this is a truth I have learned from experience!]
6. SEX… sex and more sex… is highly underrated in marriage and having it often is one of the most important things you can do for your hubbs!
7. Making memories with your kids isn’t always fun… for you… but they will not remember the stressed out crazy dragon mom, they will remember that you actually took them camping or on that 13 hour long
trip from hell road trip and they’ll love you even more for it!
8. Serve and put others before yourself… she has always done this… maybe to a fault… but it has made me a better person to see how she always thinks of others first!
9. When life is hard and unfair you can choose to be a victim or let it make you a better person… she has obviously always chosen to make her better… and I love this about her!
10. Don’t sweat the small stuff… and it’s all small stuff… this could be THE MOST important this she’s ever taught me. At the end of the day, running low in our bank accounts, not feeling like mother of the year, having a perpetually dirty house or burning dinner means nothing. Because of our faith, we believe that the things we deal with right now will pass and the big picture of God and his Kingdom and living for His glory is really the only thing that even remotely matters. [obviously I know not everyone shares my faith… but I couldn’t leave this out because it has been what has molded me into who I am… thank you mommy!]
Stay up to date with the latest political news and commentary from Oregon Women's Report through weekly email updates:
Prefer another subscription option? Subscribe to our RSS Feed, become a fan on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter.