August 30, 2012
- Book Review: Message in a Body
- Author, Ex-Sr. Obama advisor to speak i...
- Review: We were winning when I was ther...
- ‘Decision Tree’ book signin...
August 30, 2012
by Lani Grass
Backstage with Lani
Ever get bored with the same old reflection staring back at yourself in the mirror every day? Ever wish you just looked better, more youthful, more hip or just, well, different?
Here’s some things you can do today to get a little more gorgeous!
1. Get a new hair color. Whether you choose something drastic, decide to cover your gray or just add a few highlights, having color in your hair gives your face an instant boost. And then you can swing your hair like those Clairol commercials!
2. Whiten your teeth. This can make a huge impact on the way you look! Whiter teeth make you look younger and make your face appear more vibrant. There are so many options on the market to choose from that are relatively inexpensive. This is my vote for the biggest bang for your buck!
3. Sport a ponytail. This is a fresh alternative to a bad hair day. First put some hair product in to keep your pony in place, double-rubber band the ponytail, and then spritz with hairspray to tame fly aways- Instant polish!
4. Moisturize your skin. A good rich moisturizer can take years off your skin. For daytime, buy one with a good sunscreen to protect your skin at the same time. At night, buy one with retinoids in the ingredients to help your skin rejuvenate and lighten minor skin discolorations.
5. Curl your lashes. Even the most tired eyes look more open and awake when you curl your lashes. The secret is to apply a fine coat of mascara, wait for it to dry, then curl your lashes for 10 seconds and re-apply mascara again!
6. Blush up your cheeks. Here’s a secret I share with my clients. To get the most natural looking effect on your face, use a sheer gel or cream blush. Start with a nice foundation all over. Then apply a “teeny bit” of warm pink tone to the apples of your cheeks and blend towards the temples. Do this in layers until you get the desired color of a natural sun-kissed face. I also apply a very small amount to the forehead and nose because that’s where the sun hits the face naturally!
7. Get glossy, sheer, nude lips. Try this look if you want to look polished, yet not look like you’re trying too hard. Choose a lipstick that’s close to your lips natural shade and go a touch darker. Apply the lipstick, use lip liner after the lipstick is applied, and finish with a high gloss.
8. Polish your nails. Want perfectly polished nails for whatever you’re wearing? Use a see-through pink nail polish followed by a long-wearing top coat like Sally Hansen’s Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear top coat in 100 Invisible.
9. What’s the best beauty trick of all? Getting some exercise! I know you are sick of hearing this, but for beauty’s sake, get off your hiney, Honey! Getting your blood pumping is a sure way to make yourself look and feel better. Even if you don’t have time for anything more than a quick walk around the block, it will bring color to your face and put you in a better mood. Adding exercise to your daily routine delivers priceless benefits to your body and mind that the most expensive products in the world can’t buy.
The choice is always yours, make it a good one!
Stay up to date with the latest political news and commentary from Oregon Women's Report through weekly email updates:
Prefer another subscription option? Subscribe to our RSS Feed, become a fan on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter.