We waited an extra long time this year for some nice weather. Here we are in the middle of July and finally getting some long stretches of sunny days. Yesterday, with temperatures in the low ’80s, I soaked in the beauty of the day. I drank iced tea on the back porch while my three-year-old son played on the swing set. I splashed him with the hose as I watered our thirsty plants. We picked and ate blueberries off the bushes. It was a reminder that some of life’s greatest pleasures are simple ones.
I hope you make time to enjoy our glorious summer days. In case you need a little inspiration, here are some great things about Oregon summers:
- Farmer’s markets: Find one near you and savor the fresh produce, artisan foods and craft items.
- Barefoot walks on Oregon beaches. No matters how hot it is in the valley, you can usually find a nice breeze at the coast.
- Outdoor concerts where you can sit on blankets and listen to music on a warm summer night.
- Fresh local berries for delicious homemade desserts.
- An Oregon road trip! There are so many choices—The Gorge, Southern Oregon, Crater Lake, The Wallowas, The Coast. . .
- Camping and visiting our state parks.
- Summer Festivals. From the Shakespearean Festival in Ashland to small town celebrations of all types and sizes, festivals abound in all corners of the state. Visits www.oregonfestivals.org/list/events to find events throughout the state.
- County fairs – affordable family fun awaits you at your county’s fair. Here’s a list of Oregon’s county fairs.
Have a great summer!
Disclaimer: Articles featured on Oregon Report are the creation, responsibility and opinion of the authoring individual or organization which is featured at the top of every article.