My family has a long line of veterans. We are so proud of them—our heroes. They include my step dad, a Vietnam veteran, and a brother-in-law, who served in Iraq. My grandfather was a proud WWII veteran, and my husband’s grandfather lost his life in that war, like so many other men of his generation. Veterans Day—Thursday, November 11th— is a day for thanking and honoring our military veterans.
Here are some ways to honor veterans:
– Attend a service in your community.
– Write a letter, send a card, or make a phone call to veterans you know and thank them for their service. Better yet, if you see them in person, give them a big hug!
– Talk to your children or grandchildren about the meaning of Veterans Day.
– Fly the flag in honor of Veterans Day.
– If you have veterans in your family who are willing to share their stories, record them for future generations.
Erika Weisensee is native Oregonian, a writer and a mom. She teaches journalism and communication classes at the University of Portland.